Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Spicy Thai-esq Coconut Chicken Soup

Post by Ashley

So...I got the flu, or something equally awful.  It started on Monday and it's now Wednesday and laying in bed is still about all I'm good for.  At least I'm getting homework done. 

Let me just rant for a second on how much it sucks to be ridiculously sick when you're an adult.  There is no staying home from school.  I still had to drag myself to class last night and this morning.  Thankfully my Sculpture professor took pity on me and let me go home with out an absence penalty.  Mom isn't here to wait on me hand and foot and keep me company.  Actually no one is here to wait on me hand and foot.  Gerard is at work and even if he was here I wouldn't have him do anything for me anyway.  I'd just feel like a slug if I did that.  Ajax is asleep next to the bed, so at least I've got that going for me.  I tried to watch tv but feel like I should be doing something more productive...I can't even let myself relax!  This should be "hooray, it's movie and napping day!" but no, I have entirely too much stuff to do.  I have to use my brain, and think and it's darn near impossible when my entire body hurts and I'm coughing non-stop.  Ok, I'm done. 

When I feel like this the idea of eating like a normal person grosses me out.  I imagine most people out there feel the same.  Mom used to bring me saltines and ginger ale until it was determined that I wasn't going to vomit all over the place.  Then she'd make me jello and we'd watch tv or she'd read to me.  Well, I can't have saltines anymore, as strangely appetizing as they sound at the moment, and sugar-laden jello is also out of the question.  Boo.  I've forced myself to eat eggs for the last 3 meals because they were the most tummy safe and quick cooking food item in the fridge, but I think I've had enough. 

I wanted chicken soup...so I sucked it up and made some.  It didn't take long and it turned out pretty tasty.  Here's the recipe.  I'm going to take a nap now.

sorry for the bad photo...at least I took one
 
Spicy Thai-Esq Coconut Chicken Soup
Tools
·         Soup pot
·         Veggie peeler
·         Cutting board
·         Knife
·         Spatula
Grocery List
·         2 boxes (quarts) Swanson reduced sodium chicken broth
·         1 16 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
·         2 lemon  grass stalks
·         2 Thai chilies (I used Serrano chilies because I couldn’t find Thai ones)
·         1 can straw mushrooms
·         5 stalks celery
·         1 medium yellow onion
·         3 large chicken breasts
·         3 chicken sausages (optional…I like the flavor)
·         Parsley or cilantro - fresh (I used cilantro because that’s what I had)
·         1 3 inch piece of ginger root
·         Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper (if you want more spice)
Directions
1.       Chop celery and onion into small pieces (about ¼ inch pieces) put in soup pot to soften over medium heat with a little salt, pepper and a few tbsp of your chicken broth.
2.       While this is cooking, use veggie peeler to peal skin off the ginger
3.       Cut off the white part (bottom) of the lemon grass stalks and smash with flat side of knife
4.       After celery and onions are soft add the 3 chicken sausages, casings removed, and chop finely with spatula until you have small pieces and they appear cooked through
5.       Add the rest of your chicken broth and about a cup of water and bring mixture to a boil
6.        Add ginger root, lemon grass stalks and 3 large chicken breasts (uncooked) to the boiling mixture.  Turn heat down to low/med and simmer with lid halfway on pot for about 45 minutes.
7.       After 45 minutes the chicken breasts should be cooked. 
8.       Remove them from the pot and shred them on a plate using two forks.  Then return to pot.
9.       Add the can of straw mushrooms (drain first) and the can of coconut milk.
10.   Stir and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
11.   Chop parsley or cilantro and add to soup pot.  Add cayenne pepper if you want it to be spicier.

No comments:

Post a Comment