Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 4, Day 1

Post by Ashley
One week after eliminating grains, sugar, and processed foods from my diet I experienced a drastic increase in energy level.  I also didn’t have the bloated, full, puffy (whatever you want to call it) feeling that I always got after eating.  I no longer felt a strong desire for a nap after lunch, and I performed better at the gym and at work and school.  So, you can imagine I felt the need to share my dietary discovery.   The response was the same from each person I told,
“So, what can you eat?”
Ok, it’s hard to wrap our heads around not eating bread, rice, crackers, pasta, potatoes, peanuts…etc.  Especially when nutrition magazines and doctors are telling us that these things are good for us, and good for a balanced diet, and are the basis of almost every meal any of us have had for as long as we can remember. 
BUT it’s totally possible, and hopefully by recording our meals each day I can finally answer that question for you guys.  And trust me, I don’t go hungry.  I’m a huge bitch when I’m hungry.

Meal Description
Ashley
Gerard
Breakfast/morning snack
-          2 eggs and 2 egg whites scrambled
-          2 cups coffee
-          1 apple
-          ½ chicken breast (baked)
-          4 eggs scrambled
-          2 cups coffee
Lunch
-          ½ chicken breast
-          ¾ cup broccoli (steamed)
-          Lots of water
-          1 ½ chicken breast (baked)
-          1 ¼ cup broccoli (steamed)
-          water
Snack
  Post workout, hungry!!!

-          spinach omelet (2 eggs, 1 egg white, ½ cup spinach)
-          peppermint tea
-          ½ can of almonds

Post workout
-          1 scoop Gold Standard 100% Whey protein (this isn't per the diet, (more later)
-          1 tsp creatine monohydrate
Dinner
-          1 almond meal coated pork chop
-          ½ cup spinach
-          ¼ of an apple baked with cinnamon
-          Peppermint tea
-          3 almond meal coated pork chops
-          ½ cup spinach
-          ¾ of an apple baked with cinnamon
-          water


Exercise
Ashley
Gerard
Warm Up : 
-          stretch
-          foam roller
-          mobility work
-          10 push ups
-          10 squats 45#
-          3x10 GHD sit ups (2 sets with 5# plate)
-          3x5 Back extensions 10# plate

-          Work up to 1 rep max push press
-          Tried for 105# but failed
-          Max push press = 95#

Rest aprox 5 min then AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) in 3 minutes of
-          5 pushups
-          10 lateral jumps (over 3 stacked 45# plates)
-          5 push press (I used 65# for this)
Total of 3 rounds, 30 second rest between rounds

I got 10 full rounds + 5 pushups and 10 lateral jumps

Cool Down
-          3x5 GHR (getting better at these)
-          3x10 step ups with 35#

Warm Up:
-   Chased dog around for roughly 400m or 2 minutes of jogging. 
-    Dynamic hip warmup (more on this later), 
-    foam rolled (more on this later)
-    10  clapping push ups, 10 pull ups, 10 jumping lunges, 10 Ghd, 10 GHR, 10 OHS with bar, 

WOD – made up himself

7 rounds of
-          7 dead lifts 260#
-          7 Box Jumps (except he used a dresser that’s at least 30 inches tall)

Time = 18:38

Posterior Chain Work:
5 sets of 3 at 260 of hip thrusts (more on these later). This is more of a glute activation/strengthening exercise.


Bedtime:  lights out at 10:00 pm!  Yay for us!
Food was a little boring today, but we made do with what we had.  I promise to post some more exciting meals in the near future.  Over all I felt good today.  I ate when I was hungry.  I miss cheese, and almond butter with apples, but almond butter is expensive and full of fat and calories and neither of us can control ourselves when it’s in the fridge.  We eat it like ice cream.  Oh, and the kind we like also contains sugar. 
The first few days of this are always the most difficult because your body is begging for all the sugar and carbs it’s used to having.  This feeling won’t last for more than a few days and as long as I eat something, or drink lots of water when I feel hungry it’s manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment